August is National Breastfeeding Month, which is an exciting month for us at Simple Wishes, for obvious reasons ;)
We have a lot of experience with breastfeeding, and we love to do anything we can to support anything related to breastfeeding through: sharing stories, war stories, tips and tricks.
While breastfeeding is as old as the human race, the official month was only declared on August 6, 2011 by the United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC). The observance of the month aims to raise public awareness of the importance of breastfeeding and to further promote breastfeeding in the country. We’re in! Happy Breastfeeding Awareness Month, mamas.
We all know the many health benefits of breastfeeding for infants and even mothers too. Some benefits from WebMD to highlight for you on this special month include:
- Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria.
- Breastfeeding lowers your baby's risk of having asthma or allergies.
- Plus, babies who are breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, without any formula, have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of diarrhea. They also have fewer hospitalizations and trips to the doctor.
- Breastfeeding has been linked to higher IQ scores in later childhood in some studies.
- The AAP says breastfeeding also plays a role in the prevention of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). It's been thought to lower the risk of diabetes, obesity, and certain cancers as well, but more research is needed.
And for you, Mama!:
- Breastfeeding releases the hormone oxytocin, which helps your uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size and may reduce uterine bleeding after birth.
- Breastfeeding also lowers your risk of breast and ovarian cancer. It may lower your risk of osteoporosis, too.
- Since you don't have to buy and measure formula, sterilize nipples, or warm bottles, it saves you time and money. It also gives you regular time to relax quietly with your newborn as you bond.
We salute all of you nursing and pumping mothers out there, and are here to support you through all the steps of your journey.